Thursday, April 17, 2008

Breathing Out So You Can Breath Me In

Tonite the cigarette craving is upon me, its dirty, smelly hooks driven in deep. Normally, if its after 8 pm on a school night and I get a craving I would find a little private time (iff’n you know what I mean) or go to sleep or both. Tonite, I cannot. I foolishly thought I could do a little reading while simultaneously doing a little laundry. As luck (or the Cosmos) would have it I found myself reading about smoking and the net effect was/is devastating. I am unable to go to bed as my stuff just got put in the dryer and, as anyone who has ever used a public (military) laundry can attest, the world is teeming with thieves so it must be guarded.


*as a side note here, I can say that I am truly and honestly baffled by the idea of underwear theft. Personally, I don’t want anything that has been near another guy’s junk. (Women, for my part, are obviously excluded here. I mean lets face it: if a woman wants something of yours to wear there’s just no way you can stop her.) When, in basic, someone had to borrow my towel, I told him, “Sure… just buy me another one when you get a chance.” This is because, if it rubs against your junk, it belongs to you now. No amount of chlorine or disinfectant will change this fact.


I suddenly realized that I am literally surrounded by smokers and I wonder to myself if now is the time to quit. Ive got birthdays and road trips and finals to do still. Ive got to give a class on Patella-Femoral Pain Syndrome while somehow faking Subject Matter Expert-level knowledge in front of a panel of folks who know a hell of a lot more about the knee than I ever will.

Anyways, that’s my bit of whining for tonite. I hope you all sleep well in your addiction-free beds and dream of the things that make you smile.

-ps, if you all are wondering, I’ve recently added Dropkick Murphys and Drivin’ N Cryin to my playlist. If you’re familiar with me and/or either of these 2 groups you can probably figure out which songs in particular.

1 comment:

Thomas said...

Bro, we never quit being a smoker, it just been a while between smokes. I had my last tobacco cigarette about 2 1/2 months ago. What I found to be helpful was switching to herbal cigarettes, some are nasty and some are pretty good. Smoking is a two-fold addiction, it is a hand to mouth movement and nicotine. It is very hard to stop both, so I smoked herbal cigarettes until I was over the nicotine fits and slowly wean myself of herbal.

On the other hand military, smoking, and drinking all fit together into a neat little puzzle.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online