Thursday, February 23, 2006

Geek Life

Did you know that gray hairs apparently grow faster than regular hair? Wtf is that? I shaved my dome to bare skin a while back and yesterday I noticed, poking up above the skyline like an evil Space Needle, was a gray hair! It was literally twice as long as the rest and required immediate clipping so I rolled 20’s and was able to dispatch the fiend with haste and prejudice.

What else is new? Ah, new shoes! I’m the guy who only buys shoes once every 5 or 6 years, so while I had a little time before my psyche class/group therapy yesterday I ambled over to the shoe place, scored a natural crit, and nabbed a new pair of sneaks! Sweet.

Lets see, what else...? grr, this past weekend I hooked up the water line to my fridge so we can have filtered water and unusual ice cubes on demand. While it seems like this is the kind of thing a person could attempt unskilled (me being multi-classed as a father, hubby, ass-hat driver, IT toon, furniture repairman, student and erstwhile Paladin… you’ll notice ‘plumber’ is nowhere in this list) evidently the DC for this is much higher than I expected. Shoddy, unskilled workmanship produced a midnight encounter with a loose hose and 100 BILLION gallons of water. Fortunately, our party had plenty of towels and a bucket and the next day I rented a carpet cleaner to suck up the rest of the mess. *sigh*

Also new (for me) is a free internet service called Pandora. This is just plain awesome as it puts together up to 10 ‘radio’ stations for you based on a song or artist and plays music similar to the kind you’ve listed. For example, my ‘Dar Williams’ station gave me a song from Dar I was unfamiliar with, a song from Catie Curtis and one from Edie Brickel right off the bat, all similar in their tone. The same was true for my ‘Fountains Of Wayne’ and ‘Cowboy Junkies’ channels.
This is particularly useful for me as I generally don’t listen to music on the radio so my only exposure to new songs or artists are from my friends or from TV shows. Now, I just have to be sure not to fumble on my RIAA check =)

3 comments:

Shel said...

Ok so this Pandora totally rocks. I love that they have a thumbs up/thumbs down option. It's like TiVo for music. Usually if I'm searching for new stuff to listen to I hit Amazon and see what they suggest but that can be a bit of a hassle. This is a GREAT link, even if we are the last two people on the planet to hear of it. lol Thanks for sharing!

Oh and yay for the new shoes and sorry about the water. That's total suckage.

Chrissy said...

Okay, so I read this very funny post and said to myself, "this is great, really imaginative. He must have put some real effort into it!"

Then I talked to him about it. He said, and I quote, "Naw, it was really easy!"

One thought rang loud and clear..."Dear GOD!! I married a geek!"

Love you babe

C

Travis said...

Is it wrong that I had to read this post twice to understand why it was geeky. The dice roll comments just seemed like normal conversation to me. I think I may have a problem. heh

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online