Monday, May 25, 2009

Summer Of Fun



Memorial Day is here! It’s the official beginning of the summer-fun season replete with sunshine, chlorine, bonfire/grill antics and movies. Today is also the day we choose to celebrate my Sister’s b-day with some chicken-y goodness and corn on the cob.

At some point today we will also go check out the latest Terminator movie complete with CGI-Arnold. Now, I’ve read the script, read the reviews and interviews and after some reflection I’ve decided that I am still optimistic about this effort by nouveau artist McG. (ug, I know, I know…) Despite the unevenness of his previous works (apparently he had some difficulty controlling Bill Murray’s ego on the set of Charlie’s Angels… seriously? Bill Murray’s ego?) I realized that no matter who was involved, I really only have simple needs when it comes genre films with only a few exceptions.

As an example: Terminator Salvation.
Q. Does it have a Terminator in it?
A. Yes.
Q. Does said Terminator run around doing Terminator things? I.e. Blowing shit up, showing bits of endoskeleton, being a nigh-unstoppable killing machine? You know, being Terminator-esque?
A. Yes.

This guy = mollified.

This dirt-simple equation works (for me) for nearly everything in the related fields.

Another example: Any Zombie Movie.
Q. Zombies in the flick?
A. Check.

Now I know, zombie flicks are supposed to be about biting (lol) social commentary but I really enjoy them for their survival horror aspect and as long as there are infected/effected MoB’s rolling around while peeps are trying to, er… survive, then I’m good.

I find that this easily digestible philosophy works rather well in many other aspects of my life:

Yet another example: My Friends.
Q. Me like you?
A. Check.

The result being I go outta’ my way to spend time with you. Everything else seems like minor details like the difference between adding rosemary or saffron to the risotto.

*Risotto, btw, is NOT on today’s menu, as much as I enjoy it. Today we will be serving Grilled Chicken n’ 40 cloves, grilled white corn w/ garlic-butter dressing, deviled-egg potato salad and melon. Gawd, I can already smell the chicken=)

Hopefully today will bring it’s own pleasant surprises rather than the couple unpleasant ones that have already been cropped up. If not, then I shall remain optimistic in any case as there is always next Memorial Day, right?

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online