Friday, March 24, 2006

Getting Lost

Every so often (once or sometimes even twice a month) ABC will air a new episode of the television show Lost. For reasons of varying neurosis I have started waiting until my TiVo has 2 new episodes on it before I sit down to watch them. This means it has been over a month since I’ve seen anything happening on the island and this is becoming less of a loss as time goes by. When I was first introduced to the show I was fortunate enough be able to rent the first season and watch them back-to-back. It was, by and large, very satisfying. The interesting coincidences, the tenuous connections, the mysteries and the character development were all very appealing, very compelling, particularly in the wake of 4 years worth of reality-TV crap. Now, because of the way it’s constantly interrupted for reruns or the uber-insulting recap show I’m starting to look at the series in a different light. The bloom is off the tropical orchid, so to speak. Normally I would simply be losing interest but I think because of my initial investment and high-hopes for an interesting, intelligently written fantasy drama I have instead started transferring my disdain onto the characters. Last night the wife and I watched our 2 episodes back to back and I found myself actively rooting for the bad guys to hurry up and finish them all off. Except for Hurley. Every time someone would make an inexplicably bad decision, every hackneyed characterization, every time there was a woman on-screen with perfect make-up, hair, fashionably low-rise pants and the physique of Kate Moss on a nose-candy diet I would hope and pray for a polar bear to bound out of the jungle and eat them.
Bah, perhaps it will all seem better if I avoid the rest of the season and wait for its release on DVD.


ps, sorry about the creepy Serpent and the Rainbow picture being up for so long=)

3 comments:

Shel said...

Can you imagine the poor saps that have to sit through the commercials to actually watch it? Probably 90% of the stuff I record on my DVR wouldn't be worth watching then. lol I do agree with you about how much better it is watching stuff on DVD. I watched all of Firefly that way for the first time and it really adds something to a series when you have that continuity.

As for Lost specifically, it has started to feel like a soap opera. It's like one important thing will happen every 5 episodes. I'm keeping the faith though since next week's previews promise 5 big things at once. Interestingly enough, I happened upon a little tidbit on the Lost website. They have this diary that is supposedly being written by someone on the island but they don't say who. The day I read it the person writing claimed the guy in the hatch was their brother. Very interesting.

Shel said...

Oh...and glad you're back!! Whooo hooo!

Travis said...

I dunno. If Lost doesn't do something smart soon, I fear it will fall into the "Gilligan's Island" dilemma. Why can't these network people realize that some stories should just end so that we can remember them fondly? Stop milking it damn it.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online